Home About Us

Douglas County Farmers Co-op

DC Farmers CO-OP

DC Farmers CO-OP

DC Farmers CO-OP

DC Farmers CO-OP

DC Farmers CO-OP

DC Farmers CO-OP

DC Farmers CO-OP

Douglas County Farmer' s Co-op was started in 1921 by local farmers who were interested in a steady and reliable source for essential supplies. The original name was Douglas County Farm Bureau Cooperative Exchange and we were often just called "The Farm Bureau." In the beginning, the co-op was only open on Mondays and Saturdays, but after six years it was successful enough that the operation was open Monday through Saturday and no longer just two days a week.

The Co-op went through up and down periods during the depression and World War II and after. Then on August 7, 1959, the co-op was completely destroyed by a truckload of explosives in downtown Roseburg. Seven square blocks were flattened and 13 people lost their lives in a tragedy that has become known as "The Roseburg Blast." The store was re-opened just 3 days later in a temporary location, but it was fourteen months for the new store to be rebuilt on the old site in Roseburg.

In 1977 a new fertilizer storage and sales facility was opened in Wilbur about 8 miles north of the retail store. This moved fertilizer sales from the downtown store out to this rural location where it was felt to be much better for all involved. Creation of the new plant incurred considerable debt and nothing more was done until 1994 when the co-op purchased a 5 acre parcel on NE Stephens in Roseburg and built a new Texaco gas station and convenience store in 1995.

The property in downtown Roseburg was split by the intersection of Spruce and Washington streets and for a period of time the board of directors had been searching for a plan that would allow putting the operation all under one roof in a new facility that would allow for some expansion. The opportunity came in 2001 with sale of the old land and facilities and the ability to build a new store on the NE Stephens site. Finally in October of 2003, a new 24,000 sq. ft. store was opened, along with a new food mart for the gas station. The old facility where the co-op had been for 76 years was closed, and a new chapter begun for Douglas County Farmer's Co-op.

Today the co-op continues to sell considerable amounts of fertilizer, as well as petroleum, livestock supplies, livestock feeds, clothing, plumbing and irrigation supplies, hay and grain, horse tack, fencing, lawn and garden merchandise, pet supplies, and hardware. Over the many years the change has been considerable but it will continue if Douglas County Farmer's Co-op is to continue to serve the various needs of its 8,000 members and the many non-members who frequent the co-op and call it "a good place to shop."